Thursday, May 1, 2014

Small Peony Scarf


 
     I've finally been bitten by the joy of painting, and it's not letting me go.  After completing my second scarf, and my fist smaller one, I cannot wait to get my brush in hand again.  Five years ago, the Superintendent of the apartment building I was in bought two of my first scarves off of me.  She was an older lady, and after the purchase she mentioned to me that it would be a good idea for me to make some smaller square ones.  The reason for this is because, apparently, older women are somewhat self-conscious about their necks?.  Slightly ashamed to take this advice, as I believe firmly that our "youth obsessed" society needs to grow-the-hell-up; I ordered only five 12" x 12" scarves.  After all, if there is a market, why would I not carry them.  The smaller scarves with a uniform shape could also be worn on the head or framed on the wall.  However, no matter what the use for the artwork, it is ultimately made to be either admired for it's beauty and/or to help the wearer feel beautiful.  I know it sounds vein, but it's true.  Everyone wants to feel beautiful in some meaning of the word or other, even men, because after all: "The clothes make the man".





   This scarf was not without it's problems.  While painting the boarder some black was flecked onto the delicate pink petals.  This was so upsetting to me because it's extremely hard to remove that dye once it's on the scarf.  So, with much haste and fury, I took my trusty Q-Tip and dampened it; but, instead of scrubbing furiously with both the damp and dry end, while blowing like "The big bad Wolf"; I took a kleenex and placed it under the spot.  After, I applied the damp Q-Tip and VOILA!.  The black fleck was pulled through the underside of the scarf, another application ensured that it would mostly disappear!.  Fantastic!.  What was surely to ruin my scarf, was lifted away with only a couple of small places were the mistake can be seen.  I know I've said this before; but, this is not an art for a Type-A personality.

  Silk painting, it gives me the most joy.  It's that feeling you get while you're doing what you love. I just hope that I can make a go of this small, very small business.


No comments:

Post a Comment